Saturday, February 04, 2006

A Perfect home, perhaps?



Home, apartment, compartments of living spaces- I was thinking of my first one. I slipped into thinking this was my first one- in pretty New Hampshire. Not really. The first time I lived in my own "rented" place was in lovely dehradun. a tiny one room - kitchen- bathroom (Stand and pour buckets of water over yourself). I had a lemon tree in my own backyard, some tomatoes, lots of grass. Life was wonderful. Simple.
Mornings would involve walking on the dewed grassy backyard, plucking a lemon and drinking my first glass of water with my home made lemon. Then I biked to work. That was where I first learnt to cook (rather experimented with rough gas stove with custom made cylinders). Where I insisted on serving my folks homemade burnt rotis and make do sabzis on their visits....
Soon after I moved to a lovely huge house with atleast three lychee tres, a great vegetable garden and gorgeous flower bed. This was a step up, more expensive- I shared it with nanz- italian, brit hybrid. Who assumed every indian girl would know to cook RICE!! But of course-Little did she know :)
Soon we got a working relationship- burnt rice would be abandoned- lychees, quick fix soups from our veggie garden. restaurants. Fun times.
These days I count the number of windows in apartments that I visit; mentally picturing the light, the view from the windows, the stove, laundry and the list grows on..
who can tell i am growing old and rigid!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home